Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

'tis the season...

to be jolly...
I think so.  Well the dance season is a jolly time for me. 

I am thrilled at the progression of my students, their commitment, and desires.  Gads, I just sound like a proud "momma" but I am. :)

This was week two of all the Levels new series.  It was a delight to see all the new and returning faces with the added diversity to my students.  Niiiice!!!!

Plus, a new experience for the babies was dancing with live musicians.  Fortunately, these musicians are excellent in working with dancers especially newbies.  They lead the way nicely and responded to my cue when needed...and the student dancers were none the wiser on what happened, they were just dancing having a good time.  What a great experience in all!!!

I couldn't have been more pleased.

I do have to say having someone dis'd my male dancer for being a dancer, as I later found out, did upset me.  People are so ignorant and I am guessing "threatened" by this??? I don't know but it was uncalled for and rude. 

I also found out my dancer heard this comment and it affected him deeply.  This made me sad, but he understands that he is a unique member to this dance community and people especially other men can be confused and "threatened" by men who like to dance especially belly dance.  Plus, having the misconception that all male dancers are gay...WRONG!!!

Anyway, I goat trailed a bit, I couldn't be more proud of all my dancers, they are the true spirit of the dance and they love to share it too!!!!

Namaste'

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to clarify a portion of this blog. At my age, I've heard my share of negative remarks made by immature and ignorant individuals. The comment that was made to me was made in an all-male environment, and occurred outside of the Hafla. The comment affected me only because it came so unexpectedly.

    Philosophically speaking, my concern is NOT for the sexual orientation of any dancer. It's obvious that bigotry exists towards gays and lesbians in WHATEVER field they engage. While it may be true that many male dancers are gay, I believe sexual orientation has no bearing on the abilities or giftedness of dancers. And, I am secure in my sexuality.

    More importantly, in this incident, my sexual orientation was NOT questioned. It was my RIGHT to dance with members of the opposite sex that was questioned. I believe that right was secured for me by my instructor and my fellow dancers. And, although I could spend more time here defending that right, it seems my ATS sisters have already answered that question more than sufficiently.

    I desire only the acceptance of all dancers, so they can dance whenever and however they can, in the joy and the beauty of the dance.

    Thank you, Women of ATS, for including me and other men in a predominately female group, and allowing us to have FUN while dancing! You are rare jewels to me.

    Razil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me clarify my comment about the sexuality part. I was not meaning to intimate that the perpetrators were saying such about my "guy" dancer. However, it is a very prominent thought process that I was only commenting on, especially since I did not hear the comments, but hearing ANYTHING was said, hurt me for him, and the Tribal Mumma...protective bear version wanted to come storming out. But I digress. Thank you Rich for your words and sharing. You are a jewel to the ladies of our ATS group, and apparently others throughout the country and internationally...Let's keep dancing!!!!!

    ReplyDelete