Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Lucky Me!!!

My head is a buzz, my legs are like lead weights and achy, but my heart soars and smiles.

How in the world do I go about talking about this weekend?

I am not too sure however, I am gonna give it a try/

The weeks leading up to this weekend were full of dancing, full of quelling self-doubts if possible, encouraging personal growths. I did what a teacher is supposed to do…teach, and that means all aspects of the dance not just the movements…1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and, 6, and 7, and, 8.

More classes were requested as this weekend approached and it was made so. Meaning lots more of my time was devoted to the dance. That was ok. Even with my birthday happening just before it and all the various things surrounding that and just plain having my day job too. J

I have to make one side note that stresses were up to an all time high in general but my time with my students and fellow dancers seem to make that all go away even for those short periods of time we danced.

Thursday was my 50th birthday and it was the first time I had taken my birthday off in years. It was relaxing and wonderful despite the flower debockle with the cats and a hard drive crashing for Mr Man. But it got better since I got to share it with Mr Man and with some lovely ladies doing the Thursday night class at my home studio. When it came time for class, ta da….flowers and a gift of wine were in hand and it was just the start from and with my baby dancers. Course I made sure (at the help of Mr Man) that the ladies had some sugary goodness before leaving in a chocolate checkerboard mousse cakey treat. Stickiness…fun!!! (but tasty)

Friday for me was the last minute details in prepping for all the dancing the weekend would bring and for the class that followed on Sunday; plus the quick replacement of flowers for my performance hair this weekend. Course out of the line of fire from the cats. J

Saturday started simple enough except this weather…but life pressed on. I got there not long after the initial plan to do my quick shopping and have a close enough parking spot for the quick get away to go to the next dancing gig after MedFest…yes, you read and heard right…it wasn’t a typo on my schedule or site. ;)

Everyone arrived as scheduled with bells on, it was awfully warm for the weather so the potential for "melting" even before dancing was high. LOL We still managed to get some nice pre-dancing photos by Mr Man. YAY! I have to admit I am not thrilled with what I personally see in the photos. My figure that I worked hard to find again has slowly returned to what I hate most in my looks. The photos make it look even worse with that "dreaded extra 10 pounds that video and photos ADD" Bleh…28-30 looked 38-40 on me in gain…well, that is changing and some steps are already in place to move forward with for me. Enough on that…

I have never felt so "relaxed" with a performance when it comes to my babies as I was that day….I was honestly surprised by that and to have a fellow Sister Studio Teacher joining in on the fun, dancing for the first time with 5 of my Advanced students WITHOUT even so much as a quick run through beforehand made my day even more brilliant despite the weather uncertainty. I knew it would work, never doubted it, so I honestly never thought twice about it, and neither did they since they had a guest dancer at Cues & Tattoos. So I honestly think they didn’t think twice about it either…or they trusted me in what I shared.

I have never been so proud of what I witnessed, danced and reviewed later as that first day. However, my mind was dealing with whatever SHARP object I stepped on and it embedded I my foot during the performance, and then gathering those people going to the next venue together and buzzing out. I have to say it was great and awkward at the same time since I didn’t get to watch too many other dancers throughout the day, hell weekend, but I did see some. J

Traveling down to the next venue was a blast, I love my students beyond them dancing with me and in those times of "non-dance" moments that side emerges and it is a blast too!

Laughing is just too awesome!!!!

Our performance that night was far removed from the more structured one at MedFest, this was just about having fun and whatever happens happens….and of course it did. Dancing on damp grass, hot rods all around, and the crowd that loves their machines made for an awesome time even with some gliche’s.

All levels performed there and all levels just hung on to whatever was going to happen and just danced. Course 30 minutes sets are LONG! That is probably the first and last time that long a set will happen and that is ok…GREAT learning curve and experience for everyone (including me) but 15-20 it will be in the future. *chuckles*

Dancing at dusk too was actually quite surreal but in that magical way too. Having the burlesque troupe pay their compliments, and others just thrilled to have us there was the topper to it all. (Regardless of someone that decided to be an ass…we and meaning especially me, was so honored and blown away at the rallying of the supporters that had our backs and our honors maintained.) For that I am TRULY humbled and proud to call them friend. J

The day was long and ended well…I smiled between yawns and laughed even more heading home.

The night was short however, I was still a buzz and had a mental run down of what needed to happen on Sunday, but the next door neighbors dog barking woke me and kept me awake for over an hour. So when the alarm went off, it was far too early for me after that night….another bleh.

Well, the weather wasn’t cooperating any better this day but costuming was a bit easier for me but I still managed to run a bit late in leaving the house, however, traffic was with me this time…Sat was so so but it still worked.

This day was devoted to the all inclusive group so all levels of dancers were going to strut their stuff. Yes, more was going through my head but I knew too that whatever was going to happen will and just to be there for the absolute baby dancers "just in case" I wasn’t going to lead the entire time … they needed to, and they needed to remember how to follow what they knew, I and the few Advanced Students were there to help them shine, as well as a learning experience for the Advanced on how to dance, support, lead new dancers, not be the "stars" in this performance. BUT…if all advanced students ended up in a formation together of course they could pull their stuff out too…remember ALL INCLUSIVE. J

Pictures beforehand were also on the agenda and do to miscommunications one of the other photo bugs in the group was the one to do the deal…and I even got to climb a tree for this picture. J

But little did I know what was afoot with the students.

I won’t go into ever detail but having bustled skirts are a great way to conceal stuff, especially birthday presents from my students. It gives me chills in that " I am not gonna cry" moment when I recall what they did for me. Firstly, I love I have quite the twisted and fun group of people that I do in my students…that in itself is quite awesome….but the fact they went above and beyond for me. Well, even using the word "humble" seems trite..because it went beyond that feeling. I did managed to NOT cry even though I wanted to cry. (Afterall a performance was at hand )

Let’s put it this way with the assistance of all the students involved, Mr Man, and even Kathleen Crowley. I have my own custom-made, custom colored, capri version of Kathleen Crowley’s fuffy ruffles (yes the ones that a short sh*t can wear)…I believed they were called "Jessica pants" (she doesn’t make them any more) But this apparently all started around Cues & Tattoos, even to the point that Kathleen saw me and could size me up as it were *laughes* complete with a matching hankerchief. (Finished off with a blushing bottle of wine for the gifts at that moment.) I obviously wore them to perform in that day. Changing into them was a whole other spectacle and lots more laughing. Yes, I believe there are pics of that too.

The performance time came, all was good, and getting more relaxing even for me, but of course I had been distracted enough by now that no matter what happened again, it was all good. The performance had its issues, but if they didn’t I woulda wondered, we all smiled, we all had fun, we all just went with the flow and the audience had my babies backs too. (Both days the audience filled up and were cheering and supportive. I was so so so pleased, as a performer, as an instructor but even moreso as the Tribal Mumma of my babies. Whom I always try to keep safe in their dance and dance experience if I can.

Once the performance was over it was time to chill for a while. Everyone scattered to finish out their weekends as they needed. I however got to wander a bit, spend some time with Mr Man at MedFest before heading off to class for the night. Yes, class after MedFest.

I was willing to not do class but the students weren’t, so class was on.

And on it was, small (as expected) but great!!!!!!

But it even came with its surprises…fun dancing, great talks before class, some munchie goodness, and then to my surprised, cupcakes again to celebrate my birthday…WOW!

The night obviously was a little more forgiving on everyone’s bodies and brains INCLUDING mine but fun thing is, we got A LOT accomplished in the night too!!!! Score!!!!

So, as disjointed as this might read as whole, it is the brief rundown of the weekend, and why my heart is singing inside, why I push in my own dance to share it with those that want it from me, and how very much I love, respect, and cherish my students aka friends.

I am truly a lucky girl! (Well, maybe more aptly put "crone" now) No matter, I am lucky!

No comments:

Post a Comment